Wednesday, January 22, 2014


I’ve been blessed with parents who love to travel and because of that, the love and appreciation of travel has been instilled within me. Traveling has taught me how important it is to leave your comfort zone and experience new things. Not only have I seen and learned so much through traveling, traveling has actually changed the person I am. It has given me new perspectives and made me understand and appreciate that just because I do something one way, doesn’t mean it’s the best and only way.

I’ve been lucky enough to visit a lot of cool places overseas, but you don’t have to make it across the ocean to have an unforgettable time. I have many memorable vacations that have happened right here in the great USA. As long as you’ve got a good attitude, good company and a final destination, any trip you take has the potential to be amazing.

• Possibly, my favorite trips are the ones that were planned spontaneously, sometimes within a week, sometimes even in a couple days. A spontaneous trip is usually to somewhere within driving distance. This might be one of the only times in our life a spontaneous trip is possible, so take advantage of it! Just because you didn’t plan ahead doesn’t mean you can’t have an awesome time!

• Did you know that Study Abroad programs aren’t that much more expensive than a regular semester at Auburn? If you’re an out-of-state student, it’s actually a lot cheaper to study abroad for a semester than attend classes on Auburn’s campus. I know the idea of living in a foreign place for a semester might sound a little intimidating, but I’ve never once heard anyone say they regret studying abroad. Actually, one of my only regrets of my college career is that I wasn’t able to study abroad because of scheduling conflicts. I’d suggest doing it earlier in your college career, during sophomore or early junior year.

• Planning a big trip to take with all your friends can get a little stressful, but it is always worth it in the end. I’d encourage everyone to start a travel fund. Even if it takes a few years until you can afford to take the trip, when you’re getting ready to board that plane, you’ll be happy you did. My friends and I have been saying we were going to take a spring break ski trip our senior year since we were freshman. Now that everything has worked out and it’s actually happening, I am completely ecstatic and I know I will carry the memories we make for the rest of my life.

Stay tuned for another blog where I go into more detail about the trips that I've taken!

Cassie Fernandez
AU Senior

No comments:

Post a Comment