Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Auburn's WRC Woman of the Month

Meet Mary-Catherine Anderson. A senior here at Auburn University, she boasts a perfect 4.0 and her resume just got even sweeter. Mary-Catherine, originally from Huntsville, AL, has been named a finalist for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship to do post-graduate work at the University of Cambridge in the UK. Set to finish her undergrad degree in May, Mary-Catherine hopes to earn her master’s degree in biological anthropology if awarded the prestigious scholarship that is funded by Bill and Melinda Gates through the Gates Cambridge Fund. In her free time, Mary-Catherine enjoys playing music for the residents of Magnolia Place Assisted Living Home and volunteering at Bonaparte’s Retreat, a dog rescue facility in Nashville, TN.

What brought you to Auburn?
“Both of my parents are Auburn graduates so I was raised to be an Auburn Tiger! Actually, Auburn was the only place I applied.”

What is the biggest piece of advice you’d give other Auburn students?
“Find what interests you and pursue it wholeheartedly. It's easy to get caught up in the organizations you think you're "supposed" to join, but it's most important to find what excites you and explore that because you never know what opportunities will come your way! Also, it makes for a much more enjoyable undergraduate experience when you are passionate about your activities.”

What inspires/motivates you?
“Bettering the world. I know that sounds incredibly cliche, but I think that as human beings, it's our duty to utilize our gifts to improve the lives of those around us.”

What is something people don’t know about you?
“I think my teachers and classmates would be surprised to find out that I'm a bluegrass musician. I grew up occasionally playing fiddle in my dad's bluegrass band but now I mostly focus on songwriting. I co-produced an extended play album of my original songs in 2012.”

Who do you look up to, and why?
“I look up to my dad. He is the smartest man I know and he knows how to laugh at himself and never take himself too seriously. He handles difficult situations with grace and composure and never lets stress get the better of him. Most importantly, he puts the needs of others ahead of himself. He is the most graceful person I know, and I hope I can be half the parent he has been to me one day.”

What is your favorite Auburn moment?
“Hands down, my favorite Auburn moment was our unbelievable Iron Bowl victory this year!”

What is something you’d like to see change on Auburn’s campus?
“PARKING! We need more of it. Also, less ticketing and more love from Parking Services. Seriously, though. Especially during finals week.”

We chose Mary-Catherine as our first Auburn Woman of the Month because her hard work and dedication is inspiring and she embodies everything an Auburn Women should be. We wish Mary-Catherine the best of luck in her pursuit of her dreams. We will be rooting for you Mary-Catherine! War Eagle.

No comments:

Post a Comment