Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Auburn's WRC Woman of the Month


Katie Brown is a sophomore here at Auburn, originally from Wellington, AL earning a degree in Chemical Engineering. After graduation she hopes to become a doctor and serve underdeveloped communities in third world countries. Katie is Executive Chair of the Sexual Assault Awareness Task Force and in the process of planning the first ever Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM) Music Fest for this April.

What brought you to auburn?
“I chose Auburn because I fell in love the second I stepped on campus. The atmosphere is friendly, the academics are competitive and it just feels like home. Auburn wins by a long shot when it comes to comparing colleges. War Eagle!”

What inspires you?
“My inspiration is those in need. I wouldn't be in my major, or involved with any of my organizations without knowing that what I am doing is benefitting/will benefit those in need.”

When and why did I get involved in SAAM?
“I was in the Women In Science and Engineering Learning Community, instructed by Bonnie Wilson. In this class, we learned about sexual assault, how it affected the victim, and what we could do to help. Immediately, I contacted Bonnie and wanted to get involved. I wanted to become a Safe Harbor advocate, which provides victims with a confidant and appropriate resources, but since I am an undergraduate this was not an option. Then she put me in contact with the advisor for SAAM, and I jumped in. I think that SAAM was the better option for me anyways, considering you can prevent a sexual assault, but you cannot take back what someone else has already done. Safe Harbor is a great, effective resource for victims, but it does not address the societal issue of why the assault happened in the first place. SAAM calls bystanders to action, because prevention is key.”

Who do you look up to and why?
“I look up to my Aunt Laura. She is a circuit judge in Calhoun County and has dedicated her life to improving other's lives. She handles domestic cases and truly sees the worst of the worst. She continues to fight the uphill battle for victims of domestic violence and for children with desperate situations. Having implemented several programs to help the victims she comes in contact with, she has established an effective system to handle the delicate situations she encounters. She keeps her work separate from her home life and loves spending time with her wonderful husband and beautiful daughter. She has found the balance between devoting her life to service by addressing serious social issues, and establishing a satisfying personal life. If I could picture my life in the future, I would hope it has the same structure and boundaries as hers. My Aunt Laura is truly an inspirational, strong woman.”

Would you have done anything differently?
“Absolutely not. I am not perfect by any means, but I have learned more from my failures than my successes, so I don't regret a thing.”

Is there any change you’d like to see on Auburns campus?
“While I love Auburn, I also see the issues that the campus, as a whole, is not addressing. Auburn students feel safe and sometimes aren't challenged to look past their own problems to see the bigger picture. There are a lot of social issues that the student body seems to be indifferent to, sexual assault included. Unless the students are impacted by the issue themselves, they tend to disregard the cause. This is a real problem. The Auburn Creed states, "I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all." Essentially, if an issue affects one member of our Auburn Family, we should all feel the need to intervene and stand up against what injustice is being done. Ideally, Auburn students would be more aware of the issues that affect the student body and would do what they could to address the issues promptly and effectively.”

Favorite quote?
"Be the change you want to see in the world."

Be sure to keep an eye out for all of the events Katie has been planning for Sexual Assault Awareness Month in April including the SAAM Music Fest! Keep up the good work, Katie!

No comments:

Post a Comment