Thursday, April 24, 2014

Auburn's WRC Woman of the Month


Zenda Davis is a Ph.D. student in Chemical Engineering at Auburn University with plans to work in the energy industry after graduation. She is originally from St. Catherine, Jamaica and completed her undergraduate degree in Chemistry with minors in Physics and Computer Sciences at Wesleyan College. Zenda is President of the Graduate Women in Science (GWIS) at Auburn, former Senator of the Graduate Student Council, and a member of the Auburn Flyers cycling team. Zenda enjoys bettering herself and isn’t afraid of a challenge—In the past year, Zenda has made the switch to a Gluten-free diet and also taught herself how to swim!

1. What brought you to auburn?
Several things brought me to Auburn. Firstly, Auburn was recommended by my Chemistry Professor at Wesleyan College, Dr. Keith Peterson. Secondly, the CHEN Department has a program that enables undergraduate Chemistry majors to transition to Chemical Engineering, graduate degree. Thirdly, the first person I met here was our current Dean Dr. Roberts, his compassion and concern won me over.

2. Who do you look up to and why?
I don’t look up to a single person. I look up to people who demonstrate great qualities such as kindness, integrity, fairness, commitment, intuition, creativity, humor. I am inspired by selfless acts. It is one thing to be kind or selfless when other people are looking, but someone is on a different level when they are selfless when no one is looking and an act is performed with absolutely no expectation of recognition or reward.

3. What challenges do you face being a woman in your field, and how do you overcome them?
Subtle misogyny. Prove them wrong, gracefully. Do whatever it is, and do it well!

4. Name one fun activity that you done outside of academia recently.
Right now, I am the only girl who races for the Auburn Flyers cycling team. When we go on the road it is just Zenda and her boys…it is fun!

7. What advice would you give to other girls in regards to them overcoming adversity in education due to race and/or gender?
Be resilient and tenacious. Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, like Dory in Finding Nemo. Don’t focus on the adversity, focus on overcoming it.

8. I hear that you learned to swim last summer, what prompted you to learn to swim?
It was time to conquer my anxiety of swimming. Every so often you should do something outside your comfort zone. It was that time. Besides, how hypocritical of me to say to myself ‘just keep swimming, just keep swimming’ when I couldn’t swim.

9. You have been eating gluten free for the past year or so, what prompted you to make the change and what has been the most surprising outcome?
Ever since I was a baby I have been plagued with problems. Throughout the years, it increased in intensity to a point where it engulfed my every waking moment. At first, I thought I could never exist on a gluten free diet, but there came a crucial point where the pain and discomfort superseded the pleasure of foods with gluten. As much as it pains me to admit it, the most surprising outcome is that I can exist without cake and bread. It is a sad but true fact.

10. What do you feel your greatest accomplishment has been so far?
Oh gosh, I don’t know. I will let you decide or ask the people who know me.

11. What's something interesting people probably don't know about you?
I exist in a pair. I have a twin sister.

12. Favorite quote?
I have many favorite quotes. It all depends on my mood. Today, two of my favorite quotes are:
‘Do it with intent’ and ‘Change is the only constant’.

No comments:

Post a Comment